Looking for the perfect gift for your favorite brewer or winemaker?
Check out our Gift Guide
Homebrewing and winemaking books and magazines, homebrewing recipe books, AHA Beer style series, Zymurgy Magazine, and more!
Books and Magazines about Beer and Brewing
- Book titles followed by * are highly recommended for advanced brewers only.
- Book titles followed by ** are recommended for beginners.
- Book titles followed by no stars are recommended for all brewers.
- We are always adding titles to our library, so ask us if you want something not listed here.
- The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible - Leon W. Kania
An easy to understand explaination of beer, wine and liqueur making. Special section about distillation equipment and stillmaking. NOTE: It is not legal in the United States to use your home still for the concentration of alcohol. Karp's does not encourage you to use your homemade still for illegal activities!
- Homebrewing, Volume I - Korozonas, Al
An invaluable reference work for homebrewers. Nearly every malt, hop, yeast, process and defect is discussed and analyzed. This is the most complete encyclopedia in homebrewdom.
- The Homebrewer's Garden - J. Fisher and D. Fisher
More than just a comprehensive list of herbs and their uses for homebrewing. Historical references, recipes, cultivating and harvesting advice and much more.
- Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers - Buhner, S.
Author's description: "This book is primarily intended to share the poetry and beauty of ancient fermentation and only secondarily to share recipes, some more than 2000 years old, for making ancient sacred and healing beers."
- Beers of Wallonia, Belgium's Best Kept Secret - Woods & Rigley
If you can't get to Belgium, you must have this book!
- More Concoctions From the Beer Engineer - Willenbecher, James
Especially for homebrewers with an engineering background. This book is good fun and good advice. Mostly for Lager brewing.
- Beer Enthusiastís Guide * - Smith
- Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy - David Line
Recipes for European ales
- Brewing the World's Greatest Beers - David Miller
- The Brewers Companion * - Randy Mosher
Lots of charts and graphs
- Brew Chem 101 * - Lee Janson
Only for fans of Chemistry class
- Brew Classic European Beers at Home
New and recommended - recipes
- Brewing Lager Beer * - Noonan
For advanced all grain brewers, even for pros
- The Brew Masters Bible - Synder
Great beginner book, plus lots of recipes
- Brew Ware * - Lutzen
- The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing - Papazian
Best selling homebrew book ever!
- Complete Handbook of Home Brewing - Miller
Good start for all grain brewers
- Designing Great Beers * - Daniels
True textbook for homebrewers
- The Essentials Of Beer Styles * - Eckhardt
Essential for serious brewers' libraries
- Fifty Great Brewing Tips - Davis Weisberg
- Home Beermaking ** - Moore
Simple text for making your first beer
- Homebrew Favorites - Lutzen
- Home Brewers Companion - Papazian
Over 400 pages of Charlie P.!
- Homegrown Hops -
- More Homebrew Favorites - Lutzen
- Yeast Culturing For The Home Brewer * - Leistad
- Pocket Guide to Beer
- Michael Jacksonís Beer Companion - Jackson
A beautiful coffee table book
- Using Hops - Garetz, Mark
- Victory Beers
Winning recipes from the AHA
- Winners Circle
Winning recipes from the AHA
- The Beer Style Series from the American Homebrewers Association
The NEW titles are: Altbier, Barley Wine, Brown Ale, Kolsch
- Winemaking - Anderson and Anderson
This is the new standard in winemaking books for hobbyists. No other book offers such a complete range of practical information for the wine hobbyist. Very useful if you want to make wine from fresh grapes, concentrates or other fruits.
- Growing Wine Grapes - American Wine Society
Serious grape growers will appreciate the practical information about the planting, care and cultivation of grapes for winemaking.
- Home Winemaking, Step by Step
- The Joy of Home Winemaking - Garey, Terry
- Winemaking with Concentrates - Duncan, Peter
- Winemaking, The Concentrate Method
84 pg. booklet - Includes Champagne - Not for the beginner.
Non Beer Books
- A Sip Through Time - Renfrow, Cindy
A self published tome on the traceable origins of fermented beverages. Over 400 period recipes. A very entertaining book, and a very useful tool. Any brewer, mead maker or vintner will enjoy this book.
- Brewing Mead - Gayre, Nigg, Papazian
For mead lovers only, this book is long on the history of mead in civilization, but short on recipes. If you are a member of the SCA. . .you gotta have it!
- Cider - Proulx New! 192 pages.
Hard cider plus distillation techniques.
- The Lore of Still Building - Howard
- Making Mead - Acton
For more basic information, join the American Homebrewers Association. Youíll get their
magazine, Zymurgy, for the cost of membership. Highly recommended.
Many back issues of the now defunct Brewing Techniques magazine are available in our store. Single copy price is $6.50. Please email your requested issue dates or subjects.
Karp's Homebrew Shop
2 Larkfield Road
East Northport, NY 11731
Copyright © 1998-2018 Karp's Homebrew Shop/HOMEBREWSHOP.COM. All rights reserved.